Tuesday, August 22, 2017

I Can Die Now

Ten years ago some of you heard me say that I wished to live only until August 21, 2017, to see a total eclipse of the sun.  Most of you said, “What eclipse?” 


Darkness came over the land,
like first light before sunrise

Yesterday morning, the entire country was gripped in a fashionable act akin to the death of an actor, as if actors and great celestial events are of equal importance.  Here in Corvallis, Oregon, “Eclipse Mania.” turned out less than expected.  The mass of humanity we prepared for, seemed grossly overestimated.  










Darkness came over the land,
like first light before sunrise




While this part of Oregon is known for cloudy weather that could have severely blocked out view, quite the opposite happened.  We saw the Great American Eclipse in perfectly clear sky.










We walked to a country place where a few townspeople gathered in anticipation.  The predicted time for beginning of the moon’s encroachment into the sun was 9:04AM.  By 9:06 everyone agreed that it was really happening. 










We watched for over an hour as the moon gradually transformed the sun into a likeness of itself in crescent phase, like a man trains a great beast to become like him.  Only with eclipse glasses was it safe to watch. 












Totality hit me, not gradually as I expected, but like a cannon blast.  Suddenly, the sun was entirely obscured.  Its corona, like a ring of fire, surrounded a black disc, and the sky became dark, like first light before sunrise.  I became dizzy, threw off my eclipse glasses, and almost fell to the ground. I was Moses before a burning bush, a shepherd on a hillside when the angel appeared.  











Not my picture, but this is what I saw


I stood awestruck for one minute and 32 seconds.  That was the time totality lasted before a flash, like a diamond, appeared, and the moon moved on.  Suddenly it too bright to gaze on.     











I was standing alone beside a chicken pen and turned to see how the event had affected the chickens.  They glanced up from their scratching, then went on with life as usual.  

16 comments:

  1. No dying on anyone yet, but you having watched the Eclipse is one phenomenal event checked off on your bucket list. I hope us meeting some day is still on. At least I can hope ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. a unifying event
    each shaded from the glare
    under the same moon and sun
    prayerful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prayerful, Junnie. Yes, that's the way I felt, awestruck.

      Delete
  3. This one followed your 2011 accounts in and out of cold and green, appreciating the you that says
    "I just go until it feels wrong to keep going."
    Good Life Advice

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Junnie, until it feels wrong to keep going. We will carry on. Yay!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful description did you really fall on the ground?!

    I said to Rick maybe chickens are really smart, he said no he stinks not...

    eclipse.
    2 chckens keep
    scratching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not really fall on the ground, but I became suddenly dizzy as in the presence a greatness, overwhelmed with the awesomeness of it all. Maybe the chickens have it right--all things just happen, no need to get all excited, still I'd rather get dizzy.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes Toti, I wish sometimes I had their equanimity and did not struggle with thoughts of my puniness in so great a universe.

      Delete
  6. Sharon, your eclipse coverage eclipses all others'. "....as the moon gradually transformed the sun into a likeness of itself in crescent phase, like a man trains a great beast to become like him." Thank you for a front-row seat at this solar one-ring circus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Janet, that's a strong compliment. "one ring circus: I like that.

      Delete
  7. Hey Sharon,
    Such celestial events help us focus on the infinite possibilities all around us in spite of our chicken scratching. I wish I could have been there, but it was amazing to watch the awe and excitement of middle school students make pinhole viewers and see the little crescents projected on the ground. Several teachers brought callanders to view from which was so cool. I share your visionary comments and photos with them and they gasp, so righteous and awesome! Thank you for inspiring us and be careful with reverant falling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel more humble than righteous, Kathy, in the afterthoughts of this celestial event. Chicken scratching aptly describes me compared to the magnitude of what I saw. You must explain what reverent falling is, so I can be careful of it.

      Delete
  8. I wish we could have an eclipse every year. So much better than Christmas and fake gifts and lonely people without families. This brings us all together in an ecstatic reverie event at a distance. Was it really that black during totality? Why didn't you have a handsome priest standing behind you to catch you when you fell? xx

    p.s. I love Kathabela's chicken haiku.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The circle where the sun was was truly that black, but the sky beyond the corona of the sun was not that dark. It was the best picture I could find to represent what I saw. The experience was more electrifying than the actual scene. And that handsome priest was too far in the past.


      2 chickens keep scratching for Kathabela and us to eclipse the grandeur and show us what easy living is all about.

      Delete