Friday, August 25, 2017

Larison Rock

Willamette River in Oakridge, Oregon




The hike to Larison Rock was difficult in the winter of 2011—rain in Oakridge at the start, snow after a 2000-foot climb.  I trudged in snow shoes then and never made it to the top (picture at left).

Yesterday, with perfect summer weather, the climb was pure pleasure.















Old growth Douglas fir, western red cedar, and mountain hemlock—all mix with the young folks, in what looks like good cross-generation conversation. 















healing wounds with sap
that finally clots
before trees invented bandages















A healthy-looking Douglas fir, quite active in her old age.  But on her side, the fruiting body of a fungus disease—a conk.  Her insides are filled with spongy rot, and though she can live long and full, she’s no good for lumber.  Even a logger would say, might as well let her stand for the beauty she has left.  Past her prime in the marketplace, she’s still got spunk.  










Fires are burning on all sides of Oakridge; they have been for the past week.  Yesterday, when I arrived, the air was too smoky to see for even a mile.  Today, the wind has changed, and it’s a perfect day for a hike to where, sometime in the past few years, this area, too, was in flames. 












She grew up with birth defects that
left her ugly to casual glances
she coped and grew tall
prosperous as her peers
perhaps now she gets a little admiration.














You pushed me down the hill
back then
limber young and only six feet tall
but I turned myself around
and now stand tall and straight
did you notice?  













“I’ve seen fire and I’ve seen rain”
 and I believed I’d see your face again.

(Left picture is from March 8, 2011)  















The trail

 (Left picture is from March 8, 2011)  











Wind blew
the weak lost their heads

it appears the tallest did
the most prosperous. 











A flower in the forest and tree foliage in the sunlight.  It’s hard to say which is more lovely.
















Larison Rock, a 2,400-foot climb, seven miles from the start.












Night Ladder by Lois P Jones, on the tip of Larison Rock 











Alien fossil
Fish out of water



.. 










Great tree foleage


It’s a tree, my lord, growing out of rotten log, or is it a rabbit?  




10 comments:

  1. Seeing Night Ladder by Lois P Jones at the height of the climb put a big smile on my face :)
    -- Admirer of Ariel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh fossil
      Oh fish out of water
      Lead us to the ladder
      That we may know
      Which way is up

      I'm honored to see Night Ladder at the pinnacle of your path. Thank you Sharon. ��

      Delete
    2. I am fine with receiving comments from "Anonymous" the mystery of it, one who knows Ariel as I do from her scent and the shuttle that drover to thse old wooden doors.

      Lois, I love your tanka, it leads me up the ladder to to the rock's tip.

      Delete
  2. That's one fish that didn't watch the eclipse nor sang

    Fallen leaves



    Oh I would like you so much to remember

    The joyful days when we were friends.

    At that time, life was more beautiful

    And the sun burned more than it does today.

    Fallen leaves can be picked up by the shovelful.

    You see, I have not forgotten...

    Fallen leaves can be picked up by the shovelful,

    So can memories and regrets.

    And the north wind takes them

    Into the cold night of oblivion.

    You see, I have not forgotten

    The song you used to sing me.




    (chorus)

    This song is like us.

    You used to love me and I used to love you

    And we used to live together,

    You loving me, me loving you.

    But life separates lovers,

    Pretty slowly, noiselessly,

    And the sea erases on the sand

    The separated lovers' footprints.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's quite a statement, Alex, still trying to get it.

      Delete
  3. A treeFULL journey with awesome comparisons and words of reflection to match. Ahhhhhhh .... Love it, but the bright spot of love arrived at the top of a rock, sporting Lois' book 'Night Ladder' looking like an architectural structure sporting a stained glass transparent window into the wonders of nature. And, then, you 'leave' us with a fish out of water and an alien artifact, fashioned by the earth ... both for our amusement, funny you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junnie, you read my words; you don't skim. And then you bring your life into my adventure: "a stained glass transparent window into the wonders of nature."

      Delete
  4. oh night ladder
    oh logger by early light
    weave your trails
    mirrored words complaint lakes
    place a poem at the peak

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh the moon
      oh the sun
      our early trails
      mirrored words
      place a child on the peak

      Delete