Thursday, February 24, 2011

Big Storm

I see you are a logger
And not a common bum
For no one but a logger
Stirs coffee with his thumb

It froze clear down to China
It froze the stars above
At a thousand degrees below zero
It froze my logger love

We sang these old timber songs back at Berkeley—forestry undergrads, filled with logging romance, believing we were stronger and smarter than those literature ninnies dabbling in “fuzzy studies.”  We could handle cold, we said, and would stand out there as though we had lived and worked and logged in wet so long that we were no longer capable of distinguishing it from dry.  I’m a sissy today by comparison.




A cold dry snow fell in the night, and its big white cotton balls were still falling this morning.  I said hello to Sharon in Mannings CafĂ©.  “I’m glad it’s not that wet sloppy stuff of last Monday,” she says.  I soon learn that Interstate Five is closed and even Eugene has several inches, their first snow of this winter.  West of Eugene, the road is slippery, says a trucker who came through there earlier.  “It’s okay if the power stays on,” Sharon says, and I agree since my heater is electric.  I am understanding this unusual place a little more each day.  






The art of living in a small town depends so much on its geography and weather that I think the human species adjusts to it.  I think it happens by movement of the fittest to places where they fit.  I am fascinated with how different the long-lasting residents are from place to place.  They come and stay, rather than moving on, like species as different from each other as polar bears and rattle snakes.  They settle in where they are happiest.





As I spend time in different places, I find levels of understanding, depending on my length of stay.  I have been here just over a week and already feel closer than a visitor.  Upon arrival I’m usually enamored with the peculiar differences a place offers from what I know.  Here in Oakridge, it was the mountains with their mossy depths and people trying to live without their beloved logging woods and sawmills.  As time passes, both the place and my part in it wax gradually ordinary.  I notice more things that bother me.  As I get beyond polite niceties between visitor and locals, get deeper into people, geography, and culture, the place and I gain a kind of symbiosis, the way moss becomes at home on a tree.  I talk to a artist who wants to piggyback nature walks onto the mountain biking fad, and a businessman who wants to turn the old town, which is off the main highway, into a cleverly renovated attraction.


I will never be part of a tree, but the tree can accept me.  I can learn to be happy with that.  This one-month stay in Oakridge might be long enough to find a small foothold in the vanilla-sweet bark of a douglas fir.  Already I taste its goodness and feel like I owe some expression of understanding to this place.



Ross once helped to push an old single-propeller two-seater out of a shack and onto a strip of grass called a runway.  He got in the back seat and felt some particular differences between this new place and what he knew.  The pilot grabbed the propeller and pulled it downward into a spin.  The engine sputtered and started; the propeller disappeared.  The rest of the story begins on page 68 of “Riding Chili.”  He never stayed long enough to be more than a visitor, and maybe doesn’t want to.  Some places simply are not worth it.  

 

Oakridge, on the other hand is fascinating.  I am happy to have come here and hope the final three weeks will link into me as International Falls did, and Death Valley.

6 comments:

  1. A beautiful, thoughtfully introspective post, and along with Ross you travel the world inside your head, and take us along. Absolutely stunning photos... glad you are enjoying your perspective and vision, from inside out right now. I appreciate such distancing in order to view all the better the workings of one's own mind and the world close up and distant. That is what I like about traveling. It sparkles on the branches of existence. Today I went to a lecture on the planets of sun-like stars and learned even more that with perspective (and the right telescopes and tools) we see what seemed like emptiness peopled with recognizable spheres, exciting earth-sized planets, "evolved but naturally young". And so I think you are there on your own science experiment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear that you're getting to experience a good old fashioned mountain winter storm while you're there. When I heard about the snow falling in Portland and Seattle, I thought of Eugene, but not you up the creek in Oakridge. The Weather Service has even forecast the possibility of snow falling this weekend in San Francisco—the first time in decades—and as low as one thousand feet here in SoCal. I wonder if Altadena will be effected.

    I'm also relieved to hear that you are happy you went to Oakridge. One is always worried that a recommendation won't work out.

    Stay snug as a bug,
    Ritchie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathabela, you always find ways to relate outward existence, such as snow-sparkles on the branches of trees, to inward existence like sparkles within a mind. It is as if such things are clues, hidden for the finding at appropriate times.

    Ritchie, I am happy you recommended this interesting place. We all have suffered losses and have adjusted, changing our lives to accommodate the loss. But what does an entire town do with a major loss, and how is it like an individual?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cold Toes, meet Warm Water.
    Warm Water, meet Cold Toes.
    Oh! You know each other?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sharon. Something about the ratio of building to tree in your photos, gosh, maybe one to six or seven....pleasing symmetry. I'm glad you are there, in the place of big trees, in touch with your former young forester self. One day, if it is safe, will you take one or two photos looking up into the trees?
    Oh, and could you include the audio? As Sharon R. is enchanted with the sound of the trees, so am I. An unforgettable Chicago sound was of branches coated with ice clinking against each other in the wind, very high pitched chimes. You are probably hearing something similar in your ice coated trees. We're having a storm here tonight, with a little snow expected in Altadena tomorrow. We are toasty and warm and together at Kathabela and Rick's. You are here too, of course. Liz

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Steven we go way back. But never have we met in such oasis among snowy trees, balanced rocks, and a poet who will surely be included in the haiga post here. It is coming in a few days, when the weather's right.

    Liz, the ratio of trees to buildings is much greater than six or seven. Never have I seen such dense forests, where trees live so close together, and where they grow to tall and cozy that they shade out lesser folk like chaparral and vines.

    Stay cozy warm and watch the big drops fall. That too is a sweet sound.

    ReplyDelete