Monday, February 21, 2011

First Sunny Day




Morning moon through frilly fog, then morning sun through trees and cold.  What a surprise!


The railroad men are mostly finished here and have moved on down the track.  All the motels have taken “No” off their “Vacancy” signs, and waitresses are back to knowing everybody’s name, even mine sometimes.









The money-making heyday is over, when at 6:30am, railroad men filled Mannings Café, heavily jacketed as they came in, and brightly colored in fluorescent orange.  They drove up in pickups equipped with little railroad wheels that can be lowered for driving on the track.  These are the bosses who stay at the Best Western, the only motel without a “No Vacancy” sign.  The workers eat in their rooms and ride company busses to the job site.  They are on per diem and stay wherever it’s cheapest, like me.  


“It’s snowing on the pass,” the bosses say.  “The ‘tie gangs’ have it pretty cold.”  Piles of old rotten ties line the track where piles of new ties were when I first came, evidence of their having passed.



After the old ties were removed and new ones put in, a big machine rolled along the track and leveled the rails.  I watched it work with clanks and grunts and no operator anywhere.  They say it sights a target on that push-cart out in front of it, and from automatic calculations, decides how much each tie needs to be raised, lowered, or tipped.  Then it rattles the tie into place while workers tidy up the little mess that it makes.  It used to that people operated machines.












Here, then, is the finished job—a segment of time and track renewed—men and machines have moved on.  I suppose that for someone who put a lot of himself into it, this section of track is beautiful.  My bicycle is, some of your poems are, and for some of us, the art of unusual living is.


When Robert Pirsig wrote “Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance,” he related the best insights about life to traveling long and inordinate, and inserted his thoughts into a character he called Phaedrus.  It’s a book for the long distance bicycle rider, travelers on shoestrings, and wanderers to places like Oakridge, Oregon.

When Ross Anthony wrote “Zen Repair and the Art of Riding Chili,” he too waxed introspective, thinking as I do, that travel is as much inward as it outward.  But he writes in first person, avoiding the escape of a fictional character.  How novel it that?  You can find out at www.RossAnthony.com

 
Michael Angerman is another among us who carries on about “Living Life” which he is now doing in Buenos Aires for the long haul.  He keeps a blog at http://yangerman.blogspot.com/
 
All of us are looking for truth, and I can tell you where it is.  Truth is two miles south of a little gray cloud where a dying fir stood in 1850 on which nested an osprey.  Not hard to find, not really.

Maybe after enough of these travels and logging them, I will discover the perfect version of myself.

6 comments:

  1. "Maybe after enough of these travels and logging them, I will discover the perfect version of myself."

    Maybe. And maybe the "perfect version" for you, dear Sharon.

    But isn't it odd that most of us likely think that you're already perfectly fine already. And as you grow into that perfect version, none will find any reason to think the old was not as close to perfect as the new.

    As for me, I just do my best when needed. The rest of me drifts along, tethered at times, freely other times, coming up for my higher self when called upon by the truth.

    Every moment in time is perfection. If I lived the moment 100%, then I could be, I suppose, as perfect as I will ever be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet, so accepting, so Steven! I love your last paragraph.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend of mine
    told me this before
    I left for South America
    but I did not understand them,
    now I do...

    "travel is as
    much inward
    as it outward"

    Steven's last paragraph :
    [with punctuation removed]
    are some of the most beautiful
    words I have ever read about
    the meaning of life:

    "Every moment in time
    is perfection
    If I lived
    the moment 100%
    then I could be
    I suppose
    as perfect
    as I
    will ever be"

    Sharon,
    more sunny days,

    Love,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's the light that changes the tree into a bird... the last photo I think tells all about transformation and discovery... and yes, this is what travel is for, in the deepest way, to have a wing's eye view of oneself and the world, and so we all go away to find what is most close. Love meeting all my traveling friends here, Sharon's made a blue walled salon of the air, and those who can't come to our yellow nest, I can meet them here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photos and poetic observations, every one of them. I feel like I am in the presence of observational greatness when I read your blog--the photos are fresh and bring me into the heart of forest. I cannot think of another poetic observer of nature whom I more admire--other than perhaps Rachel Carson. I remember when I was little and read a book she had written about appreciating the wonders of the natural world around her. She made moss and the sparkle of light on dew into jewels for me. Every filament of nature was worthy of observation and called to her. She would bend low and reach up high to catch the smallest of details and each one became a treasure. Thank you for bringing me back to that memory and for the treasure that you mine on these journeys and that you bring to me and so many through your accounts. They carry a wealth of wonder.

    Many, many thanks to you. Great explorer, observer, photographer, poetic wanderer. I follow after you and scoop up the jewels into my open hand.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Kathabela, light in the darkness is so special and transforming. Four days with only the occasional glimpse of a sunray, then on this special day of illumination, light breaks into territory of dark, making birds out of mossy limbs, wedding flora along the aisles of giants, and a little yellow nest, glowing, seemingly alive, as if the ones inside it make it glow and not the sun at all.

    Michael, I think you have known the inwardness of travel all along and just related it that phrase. Isn’t it the beauty of poetry, that it tells us what we already know.

    I blush, Susan, to be related to Rachel Carson in that way. I often think I have rushed past a sowbug or snail, failing to consider the part that creature might bring my life and the lives of others if only I would take the time to watch it. It is part of what these long stays in small places are about.

    ReplyDelete