Saturday, February 19, 2011

Poetic Diversion


Before coming to Oakridge, I learned that the largest Asian festival north of San Francisco would begin today in Eugene, the nearest large town, just 40 miles drive.  I also met Ce Rosenow by email, through Ritchie Albert of local fame in Pasadena.  She is president of the Haiku Society of America and lives in Eugene.  I could not pass up the opportunity to pose for a day as Haiku writer, visiting from afar.  Something about a visiting poet perks up ears and draws out pencils.  Surely I could pull this off, and receive no more rejection than at the Moose Lodge last night.






Ritchie told me there is a good homey place to eat in Eugene, the Glenwood CafĂ©, one block from the University on Alder Street, so I went there.  Now you have two recommendations if you’re up this way, http://www.glenwoodrestaurants.com/
















Am I that fierce?  A rattlesnake, a wolf?  Reader of haiku, not even plagiarized.  Intruder on unearned turf.









I read these among more:

pale daylight moon
darts among the trees
pool of aging snow

predawn
gibbous moon
a lamp to tired feet

snowy woods of Santa Fe
return as Oakridge nears

feathers from heaven
came down last night
filled a pillow

curl of chimney smoke
slick of icy dew
perfect pasture walk

ancient water
new and icy clear
diamonds on the grass

crusted snow
a deer falls through
wolves do not


Perhaps someone muttered while I read,

come from california
three lines in a row
unearned turf























Gregory Nokes wrote a book about murders of Chinese gold workers in Hell’s Canyon, Oregon in 1887.  He’s an interesting fellow, but not a logger.  His efforts at promotion have paid off, and his book has sold well.

4 comments:

  1. Ooo! Exotic Oregonian poets! I draw out my pencil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool, Steven.
    Many of you are commenting by email, but few leave comments here. Either way is fine,and I copy the general-interest comments from your email to the next group email. I appreciate your comments by any means.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's more than a diversion, I think Sharon... even in the sense of diverting from the path, I tend to see you on a poetic path, even your prose can't help being poetic... but maybe it's the three (or two line) segments... well there are one liners, you know! I think Steven specializes in the one line haiku. Love to you, I am curious as to what kind of a meeting you show up at TODAY!! You'll be missed at Fereidun's art opening at Susan's today for sure. I am saving Jack's sparkling wine for your return!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your photos, Sharon! It was great to read with you!

    ReplyDelete