Sunday, February 27, 2011

Snow People



Above Oakridge to the east, Highway 58 goes where the snow is eight feet deep and people play.  Chains have been required, and putting them on is my least favorite chore.  But after two days of sun, the restriction lifted, and with it my spirit.  We headed up there—me, my little pickup, and my spirit.  At the top of this part of the world, people were sliding on skis, on snowboards, on inner tubes, while some very pious ones observed.  But none, to my knowledge, brought antique wooden Nordic skis from Norway and worked them in fresh snow far from the ticket-paying crowd—none but me.  I brag about my skis because if you see me ski, there’s not much style to brag about. 





eagle
rendered in snow
tree sculptor














fetus
born too soon
world not ready















green skirt
white sweater and shawl
Mosque of Snow Mountain 


















white skirt
thin arms and needle hair
seamstress

















sculptured glass
heads in prayer
















hat on a cat’s tin roof












you can ask
I will tell
yes I did













I’m not so pleased
by your coming here
explain yourself

















virgin Mary
had a baby boy
folks keep seeing her

Joseph kneels
beside her
believing










 

I fall down on my knees
with my face to the rising sun
O Lord, have mercy on me.
        folk song










 


together in paradise
aghast, ashamed
heads bowed


 
Some of you can do better writing on these pictures.  To me they are just too revealing, so I blurt it out.  There is still time to write haiga for the collection which I will post in a few days.


8 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    I love the hat on a cat’s tin roof. That's amazing. It's an outdoor museum of modern arts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Her creatures gather in simultaneous return..." And in the snow mountains, even. A long way fro the seashore you're seeing them at their meetings, against the sky, in their singular and collective beauty. It is interesting that the snow covered evergreens against the sky is as good a canvas as sand waves and sea. Do delighted to see this and that you are communing with the snow people there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,

    I love the mountains, being East of Oakridge looks cool.

    Did you go skiing west of Odell Lake ?

    Hills Creek Lake looks nice as well, but probably more in the summer time.

    A beautiful area, I can see the clear cutting from the google satelite view around Oakridge.

    By the way, taking a drive over to Bend is probably very worthwhile as well.

    I have heard good things about that place too.

    When you went over to the ocean where did you go ?

    I do not see any roads over to the ocean from I5 at all now that I am looking at the map.

    I like Oregon...

    You are in a nice spot,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, Michael, you have researched my neighborhood and uncovered skeletons. Yes I think you would like the mossy woods, the many lakes and streams and the big old trees. It’s quite perceptive of you to notice the patchwork of clearcuts around Oakridge, using satellite imagery. It’s the kind of thing foresters do to decide how stands of timber are faring. With a little practice, you will be telling the ages of trees in the various stands, and after that, when your mackinaw is faded and your corked boots are worn, you can muse on when each stand should be ready for harvest.

    You ask if I was skiing west of Odell Lake, suggesting that you really did plant a GPS device in my gators. It was more north than west where I skied, from Willammette Pass to Gold Lake and return, but not bad given the small amount of geographical I put in my blog, striving not to bore the poets.

    Yes, I visited Hills Creek Lake, which is right out of Oakridge and a good place to go bicycle riding.

    You are spot on with every place name except for the road over to the coast. I drove from Eugene to Florence on Highway 126.

    I doubt that I will go to Bend during my stay here; it is just too far, and I have plenty to do and see closer to Oakridge, but thanks for the tip.

    Today I walked five miles up Salmon Creek into the mossiest, greenest stand of oldgrowth so far seen by me. Maybe I’ll post the pictures and musings, or maybe just save them for some later time, as interest in the blog has waned. Anyway, thanks for your in-depth look at my ventures.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sharon, it's Kathabela,you may have come upon a busy time for many. I think the blog is a good way to keep a record whether people see it now or later (or else the emails as before) but I am sure that you and others will be happy for the sequential record! Documenting and sharing our travels I find, is inspiring for me, even if no one is listening. It imposes an order of its own, like in a poem.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the sweet fetus in the sun. The skies warm its unborn heart. I know it.

    Love these photos Sharon.

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon, These pics are amazing. Not only have you captured the setting you were in with those pics, but you've also given it a whole different outlook. You power of imagination and creativity in inspiring and you haikus are spot-on and so apt.

    I may be silent most of the time, but I sure am keeping pace with your blog posts and emails.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Lois for the sweet insight.
    Thanks Kathabela for encouragement.
    Thanks Amanda for reading, in the midst of troubles in Oman. I read your account and am hoping for better times there.

    ReplyDelete