Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Learning to Log


It fell a wet, heavy snow, not the lightweight flakes we all love, but little balls of white slush that turn to water when they land on my jacket and crush down underfoot and undertire, so walking and driving is like moving through pea soup.  But I’m getting used to it, having walked several miles along roads, along trails and where there is no trail, among the trees. 

The ones who suffer most from this kind of snow are the trees, whose branches weigh down under a sticky, heavy mixture of water and ice.  Their branches break and they fall, often across power lines.  So it was that the power was off in most of Oakridge after the Monday-night storm, and about half of the town is still powerless.  With more wet snow expected tonight, it’s hard to predict tomorrow’s activities.














The Trailhead Café opened two hours late this morning because Rebecca, the owner, had to deal with a two-hour delay in school for her children.  She runs the café by herself and moves faster than any waitress/cook I’ve ever seen.  A couple of ex-loggers and I talked while she fixed our breakfasts.  Then after eating, the loggers got out their guitars and another joined when he was not on the internet.  The men had nothing in particular to do today and they answered my questions quite happily.  The Hines Lumber Company used to hire some five hundred men, but now there’s not a trace, says an ex-choker-setter, turned guitar player.  The fallers were paid by their own log scale back then and sometimes they’d put down forty inches when the log measured only thirty in diameter.  Can’t blame them, he said, it’s dangerous work.  One time he watched a faller size up a dogleg tree, the kind that have a crook in the trunk and don’t go up straight.  He must have misjudged its lean, since it fell back on his saw instead of going with the undercut.  Anyway, it twisted back on him, and was all she wrote.



Rivulets of cold water run in tire tracks as I leave the Trailhead Café, walking to the museum.  Above me, the steep timberlands that the loggers said still keep them here in Oakridge.  These are friendly men and unemployed, trying to make do with what’s left.  On the breath of at least one of them the smell of alcohol at nine in the morning.






The museum was closed, and a little sign on the door gave a number to call for a visit.  A man answered, and I expressed interest in the logging and sawmill industry as it was before the end.  He said he’d be right there.


Del Spencer could not have been more helpful.  He talked for an hour from personal experience, showing pictures and documents and logging memorabilia.  Then his cell phone rang and said he had to go fix a broken water pipe, but I was welcome to stay and go through the files.  If he should not return, here is how to lock the door, he said.  And this from a man I had never had any contact with before today.

Del runs the museum by himself without any funding.  He says that the Oakridge past is worth preserving.  I opened file after file, looked at pictures and read stories of huge logs, boisterous loggers, and thriving sawmills.  Del returned an hour later.  I could have had his irreplaceable artifacts in my backpack, but he showed no concern.  During my stay here I hope to relate what I learned at the museum to the lives of people I will meet and country I will see.  I know that I can call Del if I need help.






Loggers in an old museum photo look like the men in the TrailHead Cafe today






As I write this, more snow is falling, but it’s the light, slow-falling kind, the way snow should be.











 







Western Red Cedars, young and old














x

6 comments:

  1. Well now life got exciting right away. The cafe lady and her brisk service, the guitar picking unemployed, the free run of the local museum (there are still people who trust one another at first sight...doesn't that make us feel great) and the snow falling just as it should. Sharon. I love your life.

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon,

    The views are just gorgeous. From your description, I can almost see you eating breakfast with those people and listening to guitars. The old photo tells me the life back then was much harder than today. It's priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon the logger, it is great to have you logged in again! I was happy and surprised and of course as delighted as you might expect to see PEOPLE tight away in the white woods and on your page... it's heartwarming, and consoling to me, and I am sure to you after the lonesome ride and struggle of arrival. I am sure the drama and depth of winter will impress us and you, and we will be as laden as these trees and yet... but I sense this trip will resound with warm voices of new friends, making the world an even more big and beautiful place for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all who commented by email and here on the blog: Mira Mataric, Lois P. Jones, Keiko Amino, Kathabela, Steven Radice, Mina Kirby, and Liz Goetz. More will read it I know; it’s only been up for one snowy night.

    Mira, I don’t know how many Sharons there are. I knew one a long time ago who worked in the woods of Jackson State Forest; and traces of her are showing up here. It’s kind of scary and nice.

    Lois, I too am pleasantly surprised by the number of people in this town who trust me with their stories, my out-of-town check, and their museum. I hope you don’t mind my quoting you: “Even the wispy clouds are slightly slushy, . . an enchanted landscape. I love the trees. Love the green moss hugging the trunks. I can smell the air, its freshness and crisp countenance.”

    Keiko and Kathabela (sounds like a duo), yes it’s good to see people in the white gorgeous woods—good people. Logged in and logging loggers—ok.

    Steven and Liz, “No trees to fell, only stories to tell,” and soon I hope to find where the big ones are—big oldgrowth douglas fir and stories of when the woods thundered with their crashing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sharon, your description of your slushy, wet and cold arrival day made me shiver. Good to hear you had a warm breakfast and company to go with.
    How mysterious the shrouded trees, I pulled a couple of them into my iphoto for future enjoyment. Logg on...

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Blogger's seeking loggers.

    ReplyDelete